Here's one of our favorite make ahead, easy recipes from a friend that will last for quite a while in your fridge. We've had several people try this one who don't like beets and it was a hit.
Beets with Balsamic Vinegar & Spices
- 1 or 2 bunches of beets depending on how many you need (1 bunch is enough for 2 people for about a week)
- Balsamic Vinegar (any good, cheap kind that you like)
- Spice mix with garlic powder, onion powder or a little of both of those to sprinkle on
- Cut beet greens from tops of beats just leaving the red part of the vegetable.
*If you make salads & they are fresh enough, you can chop up the beet greens and eat them in a salad or you can cook them up like swiss chard.
- Scrub the beets just enough to get the dirt off of them.
- Put the beets in a small pan and cover with water. (Make sure the pan is a little larger than the beets & the water or you risk boiling over with red juice everywhere.)
- Bring the water to boil on the stove and turn down a bit and cook for about 20-30 minutes until the beets are soft.
- When done, drain off the water and pour some balsamic vinegar over the beets. Use just enough to coat and and a little more (not a lot of vinegar).
- Sprinkle onion powder, garlic powder or your own spice mix on the beats.
- Serve the beets warm by themselves or refrigerate and chop them up in large chunks and add to your favorite salad (we add them to fresh spinach with a little goat cheese & a few nuts).
- These will keep in your refrigerator for a week or two.
|IMPORTANT: If you have a blog on JustBento...||maki||1||2 weeks 21 hours ago|
|Kakigori - Japanese shaved ice||Loretta||6||2 weeks 3 days ago|
|Help me through the cauliflower glut||Loretta||24||3 weeks 3 days ago|
|What should I bring back from Japan?||Awfulknitter||5||3 weeks 6 days ago|
|Wal-Mart has Lock And Lock||SewingDiva||5||4 weeks 6 hours ago|